Friday, April 29, 2005

Ah, the music!

It's MerleFest. Doc Watson will be there, and I sure would like to see him. There is a spectacular lineup of other performers, as well. I've always wanted to go to the Fest, but won't this year either. Just not good with crowds any more.
But oh, do I still miss Merle! I saw Doc and Merle several times back when I was living in DC and then NC. The Smithsonian Folklife festival, several bluegrass/folk festivals around VA, WV....I truly believed that Merle was the best guitar player ever.
My Merle story is from a friend of mine who was living in a house in Chevy Chase with several other Southern gentlemen; one night he was awakened by music from downstairs and went down to complain. 'It's Merle', one of the Sams said; 'I don't care who it is, shut up!' said the other Sam, and stormed back upstairs.
Next day he was told that a couple of the guys had met Merle Watson playing in a club downtown and invited him to the house. He was glad to come pick a few licks in their kitchen. The sleepy Sam missed it all. It was around the time I was hanging around that house quite a bit, so I guess I missed him too.

Another mountain blog:
Smokey Mountain Breakdown from Hartford, TN. Thanks to South Knox Bubba for pointing this one out. (Don't miss the possum dinner.)

No comments: